Wednesday 12 October 2011

Travel travel travel

We've just arrived back from Lake Kivu, where we were for the last few nights.  It was a cute little place with a fantastic lake!  The bus ride was about 3.5 hours and the country side is amazing!  Although Africa, as Mike has said, has been a bit tough to travel it has been well worth it to see a part of the world that many people never get to see.  Since we have been here we have been met with nothing but kindness and warmth.  Anytime you come to somewhere so different than where you live the culture shock takes a few days to get over as does getting used to how difficult it is to do the simplest of tasks...here that's just life.  As beautiful as places like Africa are it does remind me how truly lucky I am to live where I live and have everything I have.  

On our bus ride home today from the lake there was plenty of time to think about our trip so far and the fact that it is quickly coming to an end.  I found myself with a familiar feeling that I get near the end of a trip.  I'm excited to be coming home soon and looking forward to the comforts of home and seeing all my loved family and friends.  But I'm also feeling sad that this particular journey is almost over.  It's amazing when you consider how much we've seen in a matter of 7ish weeks.  It's pretty hard to go to so many places and not find a couple here and there that you don't fall in love with.  That being said,when you really think about it traveling and seeing the world is not exactly about loving every single place you are in; it's about experiencing different places, foods, people and cultures and we've certainly been able to do that.  I find at the end of any trip I find myself looking back on things (even not so pleasant things) with nothing but fond memories and a smile on my face that I was fortunate enough to have seen different parts of the world and been able to step outside of my everyday for a while and see how everyone else is living.  It's an amazing experience and even in tougher times I find myself wanting to see more and more.  Seeing the world isn't always easy and sometimes it damn near painful when you think about sleeping in tents, rolling into towns you don't know, talking to people you don't understand and who don't understand you, not being able to take money out, not being able to shower or use a "normal" toilet, not knowing what food you are ordering, etc.  Its things like this that hold the stories and the memories and that is what makes it all worth it and makes you crave to do it again.

Anyhow, we've off to enjoy one more evening in Rwanda before we head to Brussels tomorrow evening.  We are really looking forward to our upcoming adventure back home and will see you are shortly.

Tracey & Mike

4 comments:

  1. Well said Tray.
    I'm really looking forward to the stories and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKEY!!!!!!!

    -JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Son, I hope you are having a good one!!
    Much love, Mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would make me feel better if we heard from you one more time:)

    Mom oxxo

    ReplyDelete