Tuesday 11 October 2011

Gisenyi

We're up in Gisenyi now, a smaller town on Lake Kivu. It's a pretty nice little spot, and we're staying in a fairly nice resort in a little bungalow of our own near the beach. Food is pretty good, although there's a limited selection, and it's not particularly cheap. The place is about 8km out of town though, and costs $10 CAD each way in a taxi, so we're mostly just hanging out on the beach or at a table in the bar. Today we came into town, hence this posting from the internet cafe.

I think we're both pretty worn out right now, so we've decided to change up our plans a little bit. We booked a flight to Brussels for tomorrow, and we're going to spend our last week back in northern Europe. I think we'll spend a few days in Brussels, including my birthday, and then head to Paris for a few days. On the way, we're going to stop in Vimy to visit the Canadian WWI memorial. that's a place I've always wanted to see.

I've struggled a little with leaving Africa earlier than we had planned, but you have to roll with punches when you're traveling, and we are really low on energy right now. Everything around here takes so much work, and neither of us seems able to put in the necessary work any more. So, we saw a few things in Rwanda, including the genocide memorial sites that I was keen to see, and the lakefront town that Tracey was keen to visit. We were in Kigali for 3 full days, although really we only got out to *do* stuff on the 3rd. The first two we spent struggling to make travel plans.

Well, that's about it from us for now. We'll post again from Belgium I'm sure.

PS: Mom, you should be receiving and package at some point, Trace and I mailed a box full of stuff that we didn't need for Africa from Croatia. Not sure how long that will take to get there though.

cheers,
Mike and Tracey

3 comments:

  1. So nice to hear from you again. Sometimes you need to listen to your inner voice and follow the path that feels right. You have done and seen so many things and have created a lifetime memories, I hope you don't feel like you have short-changed yourselves.
    I'll await the parcel but you may well be home before it arrives!
    Keep me posted re your flights as I'll try to be available to pick you up at the airport.
    I'll be very happy to have you home safe and sound!!
    Mom oxxoox

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I think it's hilarious that your brothers can't figure out how to leave a comment and I can:)
    Mom ox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! No short changing here I can assure you! We are still having a great time and enjoying ourselves. A good bed (probably not going to happen) and a hot shower would be nice though :-)

    See you soon!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete